CHRIST LUTHERAN SCHOOL
KINDERGARTEN – 8th GRADE
CURRICULUM OF CHRIST LUTHERAN DAY SCHOOL CONSISTS OF:
- A literature-based reading program in conjunction with the basal reader. A strong emphasis is placed on phonics in the primary grades.
- Language arts, including spelling, grammar, and writing skills. 3. Math, including basic skills, consumer math and the use of manipulatives.
- Science, including physical, biological, and earth science.
- Social studies, including study of one’s community and the world in which we live.
- Spanish instruction is provided for 6th, 7th and 8th graders.
- Arts, including music and arts and crafts.
- PE, including physical fitness instruction and game skills.
- Christian Religion as confessed by the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America is taught as a mandatory subject. As the children progress through the grades, they are exposed to curriculum that is carefully graded to their level of understanding. The child- centered activity program is designed to teach a way of life, one patterned after the Master.
- Curriculum planning is accomplished by the administration and teaching staff. Books and materials are selected to meet and exceed California standards. Every effort is made to constantly upgrade our educational program.
OUR KDG-8th GRADE PROGRAMS INCLUDE
- Credentialed teachers in all classes (more than half have Masters Degree)
- Qualified aides in all classes
- Strong academic program with emphasis on math, reading and study skills
- Full day academic Kindergarten
- Strong religious/spiritual program
- State-of-the-Art Science Lab and Classroom
- Science program with emphasis on experiments
- Computer Lab and Education
- Instrumental music program
- Field trips and Outdoor Education (4th – 8th grade)
– 4th – 2 one day trips
– 5th & 6th – Catalina Island Marine Institute (Catalina Island)
– 7th – TBD
– 8th – Washington D.C. and East Coast
- NEW… STEM PROGRAMS TK – 8TH GRADES
- Spanish (Middle School)
- iPads in 1st – 8th grades
- Strong Character Education Program (Character Counts!)
- Accelerated Reading Program (AR)
- PE (all grades) and after-school sports (5th – 8th grade)
- Online grading program
- Warm, caring environment
- Assertive discipline: clear rules, positive reinforcement
- Emphasis on self-respect and self-esteem
- Hot lunch program (currently on hold due to COVID-19)
- Exciting Summer School program (going into 1st – 8th grade)
- Accredited by Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
- U.S. Department of Education Blue Ribbon School